Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hazel's Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe


We've returned to that time of the year! Leaves have been stripped off their trees and lakes are turning to ice. But the most exciting part is there's snow practically everywhere!! I stayed home the whole day today and decided to mess around with some food material. I came across a great way to make my very own hot chocolate and I would love to share the recipe with all of you! :-) It's a perfect drink for the winter season. I was actually inspired by one of the YouTube makeup gurus that I'm subscribed to. She has a video that shows how to make your own homemade hazelnut hot chocolate. I thought I would make mine a little different from hers. So let's get started!

SERVINGS: 2-3 people

WHAT YOU NEED (the basics):
- A stove and a small saucepan
- Kitchen utensils for mixing
- Whisker
- Milk
- A bar of dark chocolate
- Sugar
- Salt
- Hazelnut (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks (optional, but recommended)
- Whipped cream (optional, but recommended)

STEPS:
- Heat up some milk in the saucepan. Don't put too much, about one cup (250-300mL) would do.


- Once it is frothing, slightly bring down the temperature to medium/medium-high.
- Break a few pieces of the chocolate bar and melt in the milk. I chose dark chocolate because it's the only kind I have at the moment haha. But it's also the healthiest out of all the other sorts of chocolates and I think it has the most intense flavour. The other ones are already too sweet.


The amount of chocolate you toss in affects the finished taste and colour of your hot chocolate. Put in as much as you like. It's totally up to your personal preferences :-).
- Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and coalesced with the milk.
- Add more cups of milk. This depends on how many people you're serving.
- Whisk away. I like to keep the stove on medium t0 medium-high.
- **You can always add more chocolate if you wish.**
- Add some sugar.
- And a pinch of salt. You don't want it to be too salty.
- This step is optional, but you can throw in one or two cinnamon sticks. Adding cinnamon enhances the scent and intensifies the overall taste of your hot chocolate. ALSO, it heightens the Christmas spirit. I love cinnamon!


- Now here come the extra options. You can add 2-3 full teaspoons of Nutella into the mixture. If you're a hazelnut junkie like me, this step is a must-try. I made my hot chocolate with Nutella, and it was SO good, impossible to resist. I love hazelnut!! :3 Yes, I'm a little biased.

- Keep stirring until the Nutella is well-blended.
- For extras, you can add whipped cream or marshmallows on top. I love them both! And for a simple decoration, tuck in a mini peppermint candy cane. You can also sprinkle a bit of cinnamon powder over everything.
- And VOILA! Your homemade hot chocolate is now ready to be served :).


I wish every one of you a very nice, warm, and merry holiday this year. You all deserve the best of everything! :-) Enjoy and indulge in your homemade hot chocolate. Cheers.

To those who celebrate,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!


Much love,
Hazel Theresia xx


**Pictures courtesy of Google Images**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.