Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NARUKO Skin Care Review: Rose & Snow Fungus

Hi everyone, today's post will be very different in nature from my typical blog posts. I will be starting a series of skin care reviews by a Taiwanese brand called NARUKO. If you are not familiar with the brand and would like to know more about it, visit this website. Due to Naruko's wide range of skin care lines (suited to the needs of every skin type), I am dividing my review into four parts – one at a time, according to each line. Also, I will only be reviewing the products that I have tried/am trying at present. Kindly note that this is not a mere attempt to endorse their products for the sake of receiving compensations. With that said, I am in no way affiliated with Naruko, nor am I getting paid to do these reviews. Without further ado, let's get to it (after you make this jump vv).




Please keep in mind
My skin type: Very Dry, Asian
Age: 19-25
NARUKO Rose and and Botanical HA Aqua Cubic Foaming Wash
Naruko's very well known for their lightweight, pleasant-smelling products. This cleanser is no exception. I am a little biased when it comes to rose scents because I am pretty much obsessed with anything rose-scented. I know some people are a bit repulsed by it, but I LOVE it. When I tried this cleanser for the first time, I immediately fell in love with the scent. It might be a little too strong for those who prefer scentless products. Texture-wise, it is fairly smooth, unlike a thick cream. When you lather it up in your hands, it turns into a foamy, watery feel. Naruko's "rose" line is intended for those with dry skin. I have extremely dry skin and this product does not seem to strip off the natural oils on my skin after washing, and thus retains its natural moisture. Moreover, this foaming wash contains Hyaluronic Acid, which is essential in giving one's skin an extra moisture boost. I usually use it in the morning.
*Website Description*
Verdict: 4.5/5 because it does not give me that squeaky clean feeling. Yes, I would repurchase; very affordable.

NARUKO Rose & Snow Fungus Aqua Cubic Complex
I cannot survive without serums, and my skin care steps would definitely be incomplete without them. This next product possesses a similar rose scent to the cleanser, a cloudy colour, and a light and watery texture. It comes in a dropper-kind of bottle, which people seem to prefer for hygienic reasons. I honestly don't mind, so long as it does what it says and is effective. The label reads,
"This hydrating essence is the perfect solution for soft and healthy skin. The unique formula effectively moves through skin's surface for superb, deep hydration and further increases the skin's ability to retain moisture."
.. With which I strongly agree. I have been using this serum or essence for about a month and a half since I purchased it online. I like it so much I bought another one as a back-up. This serum has helped me with overcoming my past acne and whitehead breakouts. I rarely ever find whiteheads anymore (only when I skip my skin care –– due to the accumulation of oil and dead skin cells). I used to find my T-Zone area greasy during the day when I didn't have any makeup on. This product does a great job in controlling and balancing my oil production without making my skin dry or too oily. You would have to use it regularly to see the best results. I use this at night, alongside another serum.
*Website Description*
Verdict: 4.5/5 too lightweight to be used alone. Yes, I would repurchase.

NARUKO Rose & Botanic HA Aqua Cubic Hydrating Cream
It has become more than obvious by now that these products have the same rose scent to them. Ergo, I won't keep repeating myself over. However, I did find that this particular cream does not have as strong a scent as the other items. It has the same lightweight and watery texture as its foaming wash and serum counterparts, but it has a cream-like visual. It comes in a pump bottle, which is very convenient to use, as you would not want not to contaminate the whole bottle with your fingers. Although Naruko's rose line intends to provide hydration for people with dry skin, I would recommend this hydrating cream to people with normal-combination skin, just because it is not hydrating enough for dry skin in the drier, less humid seasons. I do, nevertheless, adore this product in the summer time. By the way, I believe Asian skin care brands urge people to "layer on" products to achieve maximum results. Please note that because I am a devoted skin care person, I do the complete steps from cleanser - eye cream - serum - moisturizer. On that account, I would not be too sure if this cream could give you the same results as it does me, should you "skip" these steps, ex. Cleanser - moisturizer - done. I use this during the day.
*Website description*
Verdict: 4/5 because I cannot use it all year long. I would contemplate on repurchasing.

NARUKO Rose & Snow Fungus Aqua Cubic Moisturizer
To me, this moisturizer is fairly odd. I would actually call it a 'milk' instead of moisturizer because that's what it feels and looks like. It comes in a sturdy plastic bottle. It is a mixture of toner and your typical lotion combined. In contrast to the hydrating cream, this moisturizer is much oilier on the skin. My skin felt a bit greasy (not quite moisturized or hydrated) during humid seasons, but the lotion works fine in the fall and winter months. Personally, I wouldn't mind using it in drier climates, but I would try to find an alternative moisturizer for the spring/summer time. I use this as a day moisturizer.
*Website Description*
Verdict: 3.5/5 for the reason disclosed above. Even though I would contemplate on repurchasing, I did order another bottle because it was included in a pack of 3 on sale.

NARUKO Rose & Snow Fungus Classic Hydrating Night Gelly
This night gelly is the first Naruko product I ever purchased. I picked it up from an Asian beauty store at Pacific Mall for CAD33. SO expensive! I think the original price is around CAD22. Well, that doesn't really matter because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product. No exaggeration. I would say it has the best scent-texture-effect combination out of all of the products I have mentioned. It does what it says it does – hydrates and comforts dry skin. Although, I have not found their claim of minimizing fine lines to be true, partly because my skin has not yet hit that anti-aging stage. This product is a very cooling, soothing gel, perfect when you are in need of some skin-pampering. Because it acts as a sleeping mask, it is to be used after you apply your night cream. When you wake up in the morning, you will notice an immediate difference. Again, you will see maximum results if you use this regularly.
*Website Description*
Verdict: 5/5 absolutely love it. Yes, I would definitely repurchase.


If you didn't already know, my skin has a bad history. There was a time when I completely broke out – I had cystic acne all over my face (mostly on the chin and cheek areas). I tried all kinds of brands of skin products, ranging from drug store, Asian, to high end (ex. Shiseido, Chanel, Dior, Elizabeth Arden). None of them worked. My healing process was interrupted by the emergence of whiteheads (possibly due to an excess production of oil). Because of this, I was determined to extract the whiteheads manually using my own fingers (NOT recommended at all!!). This 'wise' decision of mine left horrid, red/black scars everywhere on my light olive-coloured skin. Dejected, I was left hopeless until I discovered a YouTube guru's review on Naruko products. It took me a while to try out these products myself because at the time, I couldn't find them online. In stores, they were much more expensive than their original prices. I'm glad I discovered Naruko. Their products are totally affordable and quite worth the investment. I have made 3 different purchases from Naruko Canada thus far, possibly totalling up to over $300 *face palms*. Nonetheless, I don't feel bad about it because I know the effects the products have on my skin. On the contrary, I'm happy I decided to splurge and explore their other lines of skin care items.

**P.S. T&T Supermarket also carries NARUKO products. Check out their shampoo/beauty isle.**


Good luck on your skin care mission, ladies (and gents),

5 comments:

  1. Do you remember the specific store name in Pacific Mall where you bought the Naruko products? I tried looking for it in many shops there and couldn't find it. Most stores had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that cleansers are not supposed to give you that squeaky clean feeling? When they do, it means that they're probably a higher pH-which means that they are damaging your skin barrier and you are more likely to get acne. So, that squeaky clean feeling is actually your enemy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use basically superior fabrics : you will discover these products by: Zemits system

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I am so thrilled I found your blog, I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and all round interesting website. Please do keep up the great work. I cannot be without visiting your blog again and again. korean cosmetics wholesale suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzF2cy1gjk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.