Saturday, October 6, 2012

INDONESIA: Mission Trip 2011 Day VII

May 27, 2011
Jagalan, Surakarta
This morning, the pigs were yet again, screaming at the top of their lungs, ruthlessly and endlessly crying for mercy (if you don't know what I'm talking about, refer to the post here). 




It was Kak Ester and Kak Elyda's turn to present at today's seminar. Their topic was Children's Ministry. Kak Ester did the first half and Kak Elyda took the second. Their presentation was highly interactive and fairly engaging! We got to do a really neat tie-dye artwork nearing the end.








Singing children's songs wouldn't be complete without the appropriate accompanying movements




Today we went to the senior home for the second time after Kak Ester and Kak Elyda finished their presentation. This time, though, we had the chance to converse with that grandma I really liked. But before we started talking to her, I was chit-chatting with another grandma who told me her life story. I should've written it down right away because I've already forgotten it by now. In summary, the grandma talked about her kids – or her 'fake' kids, if you will, because she doesn't have any children. These are supposedly her nieces and nephews (if I'm not mistaken). She had a child once but he/she passed away a while ago. She told me that she is quite old – around 73 years old. She said she has been living since the Dutch and Japanese invaded Indonesia. This grandma was also very smart. I could tell that there was a sense of refinement even in the way she spoke. She went to school when she was young up to a certain grade in elementary school. Unfortunately, she quit because  was no longer able to continue with her education.

I don't remember his name, but he is the older brother

Yoel? He's the younger one. They are the children of one of the pastors here.

L-R: Me, one of the grandmas, Ibu Iyus, "Penguin" grandma, Kak Elyda

What was funny is that apparently, this grandma and the "Penguin" grandma I mention in the last entry were rivals. From what I heard, the Penguin grandma was once homeless, so the senior home took her in. Consequently, all of her expenses are now taken care of by the church, since she doesn't have any family members capable of supporting her financially. In spite of that, all of the other seniors here are still paid for by their respective family members. We spent the afternoon chatting with Ibu Iyus and the grandmas; and taking pictures with them. Ibu Iyus (wife of Pak Iyus, the superintendent of the senior home) asked me a rather arbitrary question just before I was leaving.
She said, "Hazel, kamu makannya apa? Kok cantik sih?" (Translation: Hazel, what do you eat? How come you're pretty?)
I replied, "Nasi, bu..." (Tr: I eat rice, ms.)
Bu Iyus: "Saya juga. Kok [kamu] lain ya sama saya?" (Tr: Me, too. How come [we] look different?)
Haha, I know this might sound conceited coming from me, but I thought it was very funny.


Me with STT AIMI students

I finally scored a picture with the "Penguin" grandma!

And here's another one

AIMI students + mission crew + children from the village



In the evening, we went to Colomadu again and spent the evening there fellowshipping, singing, eating, etc. First of all, the people were so great! I loved their youth. Secondly, it was a lot of fun singing and laughing together, and talking with each other. Thirdly, the food was simply amazing! We were offered light snacks and sweet tea. I LOVE simple food. I loved village food! I didn't think think their menus would be that much better than those of the city's. The owner of the home we gathered in served us fried tofu, taro chips, pastels, rissoles, and this interesting dish (I don't know what it's called) that consists of a white bread soaked in sweet milk with tapioca pearls inside. It was SO good. I'm absolutely grateful and thankful for the family that treated us and accepted us into their home. It was such an honour to be there and spend some quality time together. There is, however, one petty downside: the heat. There was only one fan in that small room, filled with around 10-15 people. BUT, that didn't matter much because we were so focused on the fact that we had a blessed fellowship that bound our hearts together in the tangible love of Jesus Christ.
P.S. Sorry, I don't seem to have the pictures from this event. I think my camera battery ran out when we got there. Ahh.. unbelievable, I know!!



7th day lesson: FFFF = FIRST AND FOREMOST, FOCUSED AND FORWARD
"Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way." ~ Psalm 119:37

LESSON 7: God desires a pair of blind eyes, an empty mind, and an unswerving heart.

God has often reminded me that my knowledge means nothing, my pride is wasteful, and my intelligence imprudent. Simply speaking, your eyes can see what they want to see, your brain think what it wants to think, and your heart whatever it chooses to believe. I have seen what I would deem real. I have substantiated varying arguments to explain why things are the way they are. I have also exposed my heart to believe in the obscured. But the Holy Spirit rebukes me and says, "You think too much." Why yes, it could not be more true. If there was only one thing I could do in this world, it would be thinking and making sense of Life's endless perplexities.
BUT. If that were to happen, God would not choose a person like me.
I am too much of a scholar – trying to reason the most complex, intricate, impossible conundrum there ever was: HIS Mystery. Although, it goes without saying that I fail miserably.
Then I realize that it is a similar concept to that of ancient philosophy – that you must first empty your cup in order to gain wisdom. As for me, I believe God has my entire life set out before me. But for me to fathom His remarkable plans and move forward, I shall first gain His wisdom. I must be willing to empty my selfish cup of pride and self-admiration. Replace my worldly view with Your heavenly eyes, fill my mind with Your understanding, restore my heart to the first joy I have ever known.
In Philippians, it is written, "What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ" (3:8 NIV). In summary, Christ = everything.

As the sun rises and sets,
There His works since inception.
But the mind asks not what the body should do,
The heart assured that the best is yet to arrive.

Just as I, you, too, have been chosen to carry out His mission. Whatever that may be, according to your life's calling, it is for the greater purpose of advancing His Kingdom on earth.


With love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.