Tuesday, June 18, 2013

INDONESIA: Mission Trip 2011 Day IX

Oh my goodness, it's been over two years since this mission trip, and I'm only posting the last of the episodes now! I'm so sorry for my lack of discipline. But I am very happy to announce that I have finally finished undergraduate studies, which leaves me with an honours bachelor of arts degree in humanities! I'm definitely utterly blessed and very grateful to my parents who have been very supportive of my studies. Next, on to the other BIG things in life!!

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I'm glad the series is almost over (which means I can focus on something else), but at the same time, it's been a fun ride posting about the trip. Nonetheless, I hope all of you have been enjoying my mission blog posts. I encourage everyone to do something extraordinary at least once in life and share it to the world. It truly is a satisfying experience. For my loyal readers, thank you for sticking by me through the end. I always appreciate your feedback. God bless.


****************************************


Sunday, May 29, 2011
Jagalan, Surakarta
Today we had our 2 Sunday services – the morning one at 7AM and the afternoon one at 5PM. At around 4:30 this morning after our morning prayer and devotions, I went up to the rooftop to take pictures and record a video of the pig slaughter to take home as hardproof evidence. Unfortunately, I attempted to no avail since I could not get a clear shot. It was still extremely dark and the distance between the abattoir and where I was standing was quite far. Instead, I settled for the excruciating sound of the crying pigs and images of the slaughterhouse, as well as the pigs before and after they were slaughtered (see images from the last post here).



At the morning service, only Ko Steven, Ka Elyda, and I were there to represent the mission team from Jakarta. Ka Elyda was put in charge of the Sunday School. Ka Ester was away ministering in Malanggaten. Before the sermon began, I was given the chance to share my testimony. I sang one of my original songs "Be Lifted High". I also gave a copy of my CD album to the Senior Pastor there, Pak Markuat, on behalf of the congregation. After sermon ended, Ko Steven called up all the Sunday School kids to be prayed for. I recognized some of them from the orphanage. When they went up to the stage, I identified one right away – it was Moris. When Ko Steven invited the parents to come up to pray for their respective children, my heart sank. I noticed that Moris was all alone. Without hesitance, I immediately went over to him and offered to pray for him. I said, "Kamu berdoa sama kakak ya." He nodded. I started praying and crying simultaneously. It was one of the most amazing things that ever happened to me. Then Ko Steven called up the children with the dream of becoming pastors. Unam was one of them. We prayed for about 5-6 kids who went up to the stage. It was a very touching moment. I could barely take any pictures after it ended because my vision was still blurry from tears. A couple of older kids were actually crying along while we prayed for them. It was both encouraging and heart-wrenching at the same time to see kids aged 5-11 having such passionate and glorious hearts.





At the afternoon service, I was again asked to deliver a song offering. This time I sang "Sungguh Kucinta KediamanMu Tuhan" by the late Pastor Markus. After service ended, we journeyed to the house where Kak Donny (the pianist for our church in Jakarta) used to live, which was only a few blocks away from where we were staying. We got to meet his wonderful parents and sister!



 I am very grateful beyond belief for every opportunity given and taken, that I have been able to experience all of this. Since it's our second last day (we are leaving tomorrow morning), tonight Kak Ester, Kak Elyda, and myself paid a visit to the girls' dorm rooms. Kak Elyda was in Kak Artha's room, while Kak Ester and I were in Hanna's room. We talked about different kinds of things and finally had a fun, crazy photo session! Our intention of this visit was to strengthen our relationship with the girls here. At the end of the night, I invited Hanna and Ria to my room, where we shared and prayed for each other. I am so very, grateful for these girls.

Mbak Dian and Mbak Narsi w/ a pair of siblings








9th day lesson: FRIENDSHIP
"But Ruth replied, 'Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.'" ~ Ruth 1:16-17

LESSON 9: Trust, loyalty, and faithfulness are the three basic and most significant components of friendship.

This passage from Ruth is probably one of my favourites of all time. Naomi has just lost her husband and two sons, so she decides to go back home. She then tells her daughters-in-law, Ruth and Orpah, to return home themselves. One of them, whose name is Orpah, bids her good bye and pays homage to Naomi for what seems to be the last time. Ruth, however, is very, very adamant to stay with Naomi. I mean, VERY adamant. No matter how many times Naomi has urged her to go, Ruth does not relent. Not only that, in this passage we can see that Ruth solemnly swears she would stay with Naomi forever and a life, until the day she dies. Now that's what I call a commitment!

On this day, I learned that friendships are not as easy and effortless as we often think they are. A real friendship, such as one between Ruth and Naomi, requires a lot of hard work and sacrifice. And a lot of the time, there is no any other way to be faithful than to sacrifice – the most common example would be your time. In our modern world, time is just as coveted and as valuable as money. Some of us have a lot to spend, but none to share with others, even for our own friends. In the story, Ruth's sacrifice is not transitory, nor is it conditional. She offers the most extreme warranty a person could ever give: her life.

From this passage, we can only see one point of view, that of which is Ruth's. BUT, we are forgetting that Naomi, at her own terms, displays the same kind of genuine affection of friendship towards Ruth. Trust. Naomi trusts Ruth, which is why she lets her stay to accompany her.
The second point I mentioned is Loyalty. After Naomi's son died, Ruth no longer had any familial relations with Naomi. But what we see here is her undying loyalty to her former mother-in-law. A powerful line says, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you." This is loyalty at its best.
The third, is Faithfulness. Ruth says, "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me." The sense of faithfulness that Ruth has towards Naomi is so immense, that she is willing to abandon her former identity and assume a new one for the sake of her friend, even until the time when death comes for them.

Now let me ask you, how far are willing to go for our friends? How much are we willing to give for the sake of keeping our friendship?


Keep it moving in love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.