Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Under what disguise?

Earlier today I stumbled upon a newspaper article about the recent shooting of a TTC worker. As a result, police are increasing the number of disguised cops to ride the TTC on a regular basis to ensure the safety of commuters. I thought this article was particularly interesting and it made me contemplate the chances of encountering an undercover cop on my TTC rides.

As I took a train home, I began to be more wary of my surroundings; not only for suspicious individuals, but I also took more notice of those people who seemed to be average commuters getting home after a long, tiring day of work. The question of identity then crossed my mind: WHO are these people?

Some of us may be wearing a mask to cover our real selves. What you see isn't always what you get. How truthful are we to the public eye? Do we put up a façade to conceal what's underneath? Everything becomes an intricate enigma. Everything's a mystery. Everybody's a mystery. What goes on in one's mind is not discernible to the person sitting beside him, to take at face value. I don't think that anybody is or should be an open book to anybody. Besides, even if there was an actual dictionary, which could help me translate other people's outward expressions, I wouldn't say I'd be interested to purchase it as a keepsake. Maybe I'd turn a few pages out of meticulous curiosity... but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd like you to keep me guessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.